Here is a lighter version of this all time childhood favorite.
Makes 4-6 servings (or two really comforting bowls, for a cheat meal! haha)
- 2 cups whole wheat macaroni
- 2 cups shredded low fat cheddar cheese (fat free does not have the same consistency)
- 1/2 cup low-fat evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup egg whites
- 1/4 cup reduced fat sour cream
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Coat a 13×9-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the macaroni according to the package directions. Drain well and transfer the pasta to a large bowl. Add the cheddar and stir until the pasta is coated and the cheese has melted.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the evaporated milk, egg whites, sour cream, mustard, and salt. Add the milk-egg mixture to the macaroni and cheese and stir well to combine. Scrape the mixture into the prepared baking dish and sprinkle the Parmesan evenly over the top. Bake until golden brown and crispy around the edges, 35 to 40 minutes.